Wednesday, January 12, 2011

New Year's Resolutions... Or Something

I have never been one to make New Year's Resolutions considering the ones I try to make rarely make it past January 15th. A few years ago I vowed to stop eating popcorn in bed, which I am doing right now. Another year I swore I would wear lolita every Saturday, which lasted till March. I tried to give up knitting in the car (when I'm not the driver), practicing dance steps in public places, cracking my knuckles, and - most famously - cutting down to only 3 cups of coffee a day. Noticing a theme? This year I am going to save my self a huge let down, and do one little thing. OK - two - I am going to try to post more.

I need to learn to buy things.  - This may sound silly, but I have a terrible habit of seeing something I would like to have, and then thinking "but I could just make that." I have a very long list of things that I would like to have that I have never purchased since I think I could make it. Be it laziness, or having too much on my plate already, but none of these projects ever get done. The first thing on my list, and what I have needed the longest, is a new petticoat. When I first started wearing lolita I stuck to an a-line shape, and made myself a petticoat to match. Over the past 2 years I have drifted further and further from the a-line to the bell shape, but still using my old a-line petticoat (which, I might add, is still fluffy). I have fabric, left over from a wedding dress, 7 yards of ivory chiffon, collecting dust that I have meant to turn into a nice fluffy petticoat. I concede. I surrender! It just isn't going to happen. Candy Violet, here I come! Also, today, I bought a gray lace knit beret. I have wanted one for several years now, but the thought that I could just knit that has held me back. Today I found one on a clearance rack for $4, so I bought it! Let's hope the trend continues!

2 comments:

  1. I can kind of understand that, being a sewing loli myself with a huge list of projects. So congrats on the beret!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have that problem too! I can't bear to spend money on something I could make cheaper but I really need to start considering if the time I put in is worth the savings.

    ReplyDelete