Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Sick Day

Yarn and Tea

These past couple days I have been laid up sick. This happens to me maybe twice a year; excepting a chronic condition, I am a generally healthy person. Since I am so rarely sick, I find it a very frustrating experience. I want to get up and do something; it drives me absolutely nuts to lay about on the couch all day, much less 2 or 3 days. So instead of being mopey, I have put together a list of lolita(ish) ways to entertain one's self when they are horizontal and have little to no brain power.

  • Read a good book - I am always a fan of literature, but often find I don't have time to read as much as I would like. ("As much as I would like" is a relative term, I do get to finish 3 or 4 books a month). Take this opportunity to get caught up on that book one started, but has not had the time to finish.
  • Knit, crochet, tat, embroider - A simple handy craft can do wonders for tackling the feeling of being an unproductive slug when one is sick. It takes very little energy to knit, but it is very satisfying to count the rows one has finished during that day. I have been working on a winter hat. The band is almost finished, but since I am working with sock yarn on a size 1 needle it is going to take a while. I would not recommend my dear readers try to learn a new craft while sick, because the fuzzy headed sensation is rather counter productive to learning a craft that requires concentration.
  • Play with a Poupee Girl - Goodness knows who thought this up, but it is a fairly decent way to spend the day. One must have photographs of one's wardrobe to post, that are just one's wardrobe pieces, not worn (although I take my pictures on a dress form), but one can spend hours looking through others' wardrobes. It may sound silly, but there is a great sense of accomplishment from having the majority of ones wardrobe cataloged online.
  • Watch a movie - The typical lolita movie, Kamikaze Girls/Shimotsuma Monogatari, is always an option, but one can branch out. My favorites: Movies based on Jane Austin books, BBC's All Creatures Great and Small, classic films such as It Happened One Night, and anything with a happy ending.
  • Take a shower - Its a little thing, but taking a shower always makes me feel like I did something, instead of just laying around. Bonus, if one is congested, it can help clear things up, and relieve sinus pressure.
  • Lounge in bloomers, socks, and a cut sew - A little lolita, if one does not already own lolita pajamas, can do a great deal for ones mental health. Feeling pretty does make one feel better. I have a cute night shirt and matching flannel bloomers for just such occasions.
  • Tea - Tea always helps when sick. Take the opportunity to explore what teas help with one's symptoms. I am a fan of Celestial Seasonings Lemon Zinger for head colds, and chamomile or peppermint for flues. I like to use a pretty mug as opposed to cup and saucer. Something about a mug when snuggled in a quilt feels much snugglier than a dainty cup. My favorite mug is from Starbucks, it is in the above photograph. The snow flakes are cute and the unusual shape makes it feel a little whimsical.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you are feeling better. That knitting is so tiny! I'd never survive.

    ReplyDelete